The Seventh Cloud: I Am! by John Clare: The Poem of Identity, Loneliness & Mental Illness

Translate this blog to: Français,Deutsch,Spanish and more!

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

I Am! by John Clare: The Poem of Identity, Loneliness & Mental Illness

 



   I Am! - John Clare 

I am - yet what I am, none cares or knows; 
My friends forsake me like a memory lost: 
I am the self-consumer of my woes —  
They rise and vanish in oblivion's host, 
Like shadows in love frenzied stifled throes 
And yet I am, and live — like vapours tost 
Into the nothingness of scorn and noise, 
Into the living sea of waking dreams, 
Where there is neither sense of life or joys, 
But the vast shipwreck of my life's esteem; 
Even the dearest that I love best 
Are strange — nay, rather, stranger than the rest. 
I long for scenes where man hath never trod 
A place where woman never smiled or wept 
There to abide with my Creator God, 
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept, 
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie 
The grass below, above, the vaulted sky.

Click here to go to album page 1 and here to album page 2

In "I Am!", John Clare explores the profound loneliness of feeling invisible, misunderstood, and disconnected from both society and himself. The poem expresses the anguish of existing in a world where one's identity seems forgotten, while longing for peace beyond suffering. Drawing from his own experiences of mental illness, isolation, and personal loss, Clare reflects on the fragility of human identity and the emotional burden of alienation. Yet, amid its sorrow, the poem also reveals a quiet yearning for spiritual comfort and a return to the innocence and tranquility of childhood, making "I Am!" one of the most moving meditations on identity, solitude, and the universal search for belonging in English Romantic poetry.





John Clare (1793–1864) was an English Romantic poet often celebrated as the "Peasant Poet" for his vivid, deeply empathetic depictions of rural life, nature, and the changing English countryside. Born to poor agricultural laborers in Northamptonshire, Clare achieved sudden literary acclaim in 1820 with his debut collection. However, as public interest in pastoral poetry waned, he sank into severe poverty, financial distress, and psychological illness. Struggling to support his large family alongside his fading career and the physical destruction of his beloved childhood landscapes by parliamentary enclosure, Clare suffered a severe breakdown characterized by deep depression, anxiety, and vivid delusions at times, even believing he was Lord Byron or Shakespeare.

It was within the walls of the Northampton General Lunatic Asylum (later renamed St Andrew's Hospital) that Clare wrote his masterpiece, "I Am!". Composed around late 1844 or 1845—just a few years into his 23-year stay at the institution—the poem was born out of profound isolation and alienation from his family, friends, and the literary world. Despite his fractured state of mind, Clare retained periods of extraordinary creative clarity; he dictated or wrote out his poems, which were then transcribed and preserved by W. F. Knight, the asylum’s sympathetic house steward who encouraged his writing between 1845 and 1850. First published in the Bedford Times in 1848, the poem serves as Clare's definitive statement on human existence, capturing the tragic contradiction of being physically alive and self-aware while feeling entirely abandoned and forgotten by the world.

From: My Poetic Side

The rest of his days were spent in this institution and he died in 1864, aged 71.  He is buried in Helpston churchyard, the village where he grew up and his poetry is commemorated every year by children of the John Clare Primary School who honour him every summer on the 13th of July- the date of his birth.

No comments:

ad