"I prefer to hold on to the good things, to what makes me happy and gives me peace. It may not always be something tangible, but I know it exists."
(...) When all we want is to stay in the same place, without drawing attention to ourselves and without taking risks, comfort always welcomes us with open arms. Perhaps we'll never be the best, but we can always give our best.
And maybe that's what growing up is about: understanding that starting over doesn't mean having failed, but rather having the courage to choose a different path. Every new beginning forces us to leave behind a version of ourselves that no longer represents us. It's scary, yes, but it's also the only way to discover how far we're capable of going.
So, do we continue as we are or do we start again?
This was the title of a post I wrote more than ten years ago, along with the reflection I had at the time. While I was somewhat aware of this topic, I didn't fully understand it until many years later, unfortunately for me. I, too, fell into my comfort zone, into the space between traditional parenting before the internet and the world after it. It always felt like I had to choose one side or the other, which caused me to stagnate in many ways a war between moving forward and what I thought was comfort, but part of that became immobility.
Comfort doesn't always bring peace; sometimes it just keeps us immobile, trapped in a place where we stop growing. Fear convinces us that it's better not to try, that it's safer not to stand out, that it's preferable to settle rather than risk failing. However, the greatest risk can be staying where you no longer belong.
Why does this happen?
Anxiety relief: Making your own decisions and using free will generates uncertainty. Following the social script is predictable and safe.
Cultural validation: Meeting family and social expectations guarantees acceptance and avoids rejection or isolation.
Lack of introspection: Daily routines and constant stimulation act like anesthetics, preventing people from stopping to think, "Is this really what I want?"Living this way reduces immediate conflict, but in the long run, it often transforms into a midlife crisis, existential emptiness, or deep, chronic dissatisfaction.
The fear of being judged when we decide to change: Change will be noticeable in every aspect, and many people may not be prepared to be questioned or judged about the change in their appearance, their way of doing things, speaking, thinking, and their overall life change.
In my case, I entered and exited this cycle of repetition at different times in my life and for different reasons. Perhaps I believed I wasn't in the right place, perhaps things didn't turn out as I imagined, or perhaps I simply wanted to avoid disappointment at an unconscious level. As I said, one can easily confuse comfort with peace.
What is the difference between being comfortable and being at peace?
At first glance, they seem the same, but the difference is significant. It is said that:
Comfort is a form or state of self-protection: it arises from familiarity and certainty. The danger of comfort is when we remain in that state out of apathy and fear, not out of a conscious choice to recharge our energy. It doesn't challenge you, it doesn't expose you to failure, nor does it force you to confront your doubts. Comfort seeks to avoid discomfort. In the long run, comfort without growth can turn into apathy, a feeling that "something is missing."
Peace is a state of wholeness: it arises from inner alignment and purpose; it requires that what you are doing or experiencing aligns with your values and with who you truly are. Peace embraces uncertainty; it expands you. It gives you clarity, renewed energy, and even when the process of change requires physical or mental effort, peace does not emotionally exhaust you.
*Fulfillment (the state of well-being, balance, and deep satisfaction we experience when we feel complete. It doesn't imply the absence of problems, but rather a sense of inner peace and harmony.)
Mediocrity and Averageness
Mediocrity is defined as:
- The state of being average when the capacity or potential to be better exists.
- An attitude toward life characterized by a lack of aspiration.
- A mental comfort zone where a person settles for "just getting by."
- It is the conscious renunciation of your own potential due to fear, laziness, or resignation.
Being average is defined as:
- Not standing out, nor being the best or the worst in most aspects.
- Leading a lifestyle that coincides with the vast majority of the population in your context.
- Being satisfied with "enough" instead of always wanting "more." or being seen.
It is peace, sobriety, or voluntary simplicity.
The importance of making mistakes to discover who you are.
When you learn something new, you often make mistakes, and from those mistakes, you learn to do the right thing. This happens to us throughout our lives because we are always growing and learning. If we want to know what will work for our new life, outside the bubble of comfort and dissatisfaction we feel, we have no choice but to try what does and what doesn't.
I can't immediately think of what I did as mistakes. I believe that everything I went through was an experience, and without those experiences, I wouldn't have learned what I wanted and didn't want. Other people will see their experiences as genuine mistakes, but they will arrive at the same conclusion.
The Invisible Cost of Not Making Decisions.
Not making decisions and letting yourself be carried away by day-to-day life, living on autopilot, without anything new that can change your day, comes at a cost. It leads to extreme comfort and also to forced mediocrity, and without realizing it, you're trapped in a lifestyle you didn't plan, and many years of your life have passed and will continue to pass in that same state.
What can you learn from this?
Think about the person you were ten years ago. What advice would you give her/him today with everything you've learned? Now do the same exercise with the person you were five years ago.
Why two versions of yourself? Because the person from ten years ago can remind you of dreams, interests, and plans you've forgotten over time, and which may still be part of who you are.
The person from five years ago, on the other hand, is close enough to help you identify the decisions, fears, or habits that led you to your current situation. It will help you investigate where you strayed from the path.
It's not about living in the past or blaming yourself for your decisions. Think of it like cleaning your room: you throw away what's useless or doesn't mean anything to you; Then you rescue and find a new place for what you value. Reclaim what makes sense to you and use the experience you have today. This will help us discover which part of our past self still represents us.
Starting over doesn't always mean becoming someone else; sometimes it means rediscovering an authentic part of yourself that you had left behind.

No comments:
Post a Comment